View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #377 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

On a 3 lane freeway, I am always in the right lane, because that's the RIGHT thing to do! (laugh)
My exception to that would only be where 2 freeways intersect soon, and I want the straight ahead one instead of the one w 2 lanes veering to the right.
Then I mirror gauge when to get into the middle lane which will become the straight freeway's right slow lane.

I have about 1/2 mile of slight downhill to mirror decide when to make the move.
You have to study the TRAIN (5-6 cars tight in a row) already in that middle lane; pick out the large trucks; predict in advance which freeway most likely will be chosen.

With so many variables, sometimes I change early if only cars are back there because if I change early enough, they can easily pass on either side.

At other times, especially if a big rig w 4 cars behind him is ROLLING down the middle, it's better if I wait until close to the junction.

The biggest rub is someone who wants to stay in the middle to automatically set themselves up as that becomes the fast lane of the junction freeway veering to the right.

It is only those people generally that will honk, because I cost them 5-7 seconds.

It's my most awkward weekly freeway situation, but I'm happy to report that 99.8% of the time; it goes smooth for me w God's help. This last week, I was placed perfectly between the traditional packs that form about a mile apart on most freeways, so I could make that lane change whenever in total peace!

In case anyone was wondering, this is all when I'm doing 50mph in a 60mph zone!