View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
bkrell
Big El Cheapo

big swede - '01 SAAB 9-5 2.3lt
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

mighty mite - '09 Honda Fit Sport

The V - '02 Honda CR-V EX-4WD

Ody - '09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
bkrell -

Welcome to EM! From what I have read, the key to Turbo's and MPG is driving below the "turbo activation line". You've got the small displacement, so you should be able to get wring some nice MPG out of your Saab.

Are you a B235E or a B235R? I am thinking B235E because of your garage baseline comparison MPG. I don't know what the B235E engine(?) designation means, I just read it on the EPA mpg website.

CarloSW2
B is the SAAB engine family.
23 is 2.3 liters
5 I believe means it's the fifth iteneration of the engine
the R engine must be the higher output Aero model (and all 9-5s now) that make 250-260 hp depending on year.

The figures I inputted in the "garage" are the revised EPA numbers. But oddly they state that the higher output engine is the only one requiring premium. I know in my manual it's recommended, not required, but I've never used 87 were it didn't sound like I had a tdi under my hood.....And I'm pretty religious about fuel system and combustion chamber cleaning. I regularly take a peak down into my spark plug holes to check for carbon.

Here's the quote from the owner's manual:

Quote:
Fuel grade ________________________ Unleaded gasoline
AON 87–93.
For optimum performance Saab recommend
the following fuel grades:
2.3t _____________________________ AON 90
Around here my only options are 87, 89, and 92 or 93. Any time I've run 89 it's been just like using 87. But, as I said, I'll try it running off boost as much as possible and seem if my mpg changes. In prior experiments, I'd get as much as a 4-5 mpg drop.

As for Scangauge, I have a trip mpg function right now along with a "distance to empty function." It was pretty accurate when I'd checked it in the past but perhaps it's time to check it again...