View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
monroe74
EcoModding Lurker

pale: "This image ... is from the same article"

Good point. And that image suggests that something like 80% beats WOT. But maybe that image is based on an engine that goes into open-loop, past a certain threshold.

metro: "in the depths of winter, no more than about 30 seconds"

I don't have an SG, and the weather is warm now. But I'm using a DMM to monitor what the O2 sensor is doing, and it seems that upon a cold start it only takes about 20 seconds to warm up and start operating. Similar to your observation.

"Consider the 104 mpg fill-up I saw last summer was using mostly open loop pulses"

My guess is that the penalty for open-loop can be small or non-existent, because it depends on the values in the table the ECU is using. So it will depend on conditions, and it will depend on the kind of car you're driving.

I think it's interesting to make these discoveries which test conventional wisdom.

Conventional wisdom says lean burn is a very important part of how the VX does so well. I think lean burn in the VX can be very valuable, to certain drivers under certain conditions. But I also suspect that the optimal way to drive the VX is WOT, which means minimizing lean burn.

pale: "I'm almost always in closed loop"

You and metro both have SG. One of the many nice things about it is you have an easy way to know if you're in open-loop, or not.

With my OBD1 vehicle, it seems to be much harder to get an objective definition of that state, and how to detect it. But maybe it doesn't matter much.