View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
graydonengineering
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Before anyone says anything here is the reason that it can save gas. Having better throttle response means there will be less delay in the engines ability to rev. If the engine can rev easier and faster changes in TPS are easier to detect allowing for more fine tuning of speed when cruising, and less time spent accelerating. In the end the change might not do anything for MPG but it will give a better seat of the pants feel and can allow the driver to better adjust the throttle for more efficient driving.
I agree! I have found faster acceleration improves my mpg. That said, obviously flooring it and reving up to redline is not the right idea but accelerating "briskly" so you can settle into a high gear and a stable speed is beneficail. Keeping up with the average driver after a light seems to be about right for me. I also catch less flack from the passangers for driving "slow" that way as it seems to them like I am driving just like everyone else but getting great mileage. I find that small engines like mine have a hard time keeping up without flooring it (not good for mpg at all) so performace mods might net a gain even if they shouldn't in theory. If your engine is already quite powerfull, letting more ponies out of the barn will probably keep milage the same or even make it worse.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to graydonengineering For This Useful Post:
Silvey01 (07-30-2011)