View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Vekke
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Here is some of the functions what my econavigator should have. First of all the ultimate navigator should have all the possible functions what are on the 100 driving tips list. Driver then could decide what he is willing to use.
- Navigator should calculate the "gliding properties of the car" CD and CRR and other forces, like already mentioned. Can be done with basic coast down test.
- When you have extra load you should be able to tell the computer that.
- Also topografic map is a must where it can calculate height differences and effect to glides. With those you can calculate the points where to put the car in neutral according to parameters that driver had feed inside the computer. Like I want to come to juctions at 15 MPH speed. Or I am willing to slow down my speed in hills 10 MPH etc. Navigator can also use some other data to calculate the descents. These are the fuctions which the driver should be able to feed/tell.
- Navigator should tell the driver when are best point to start P&G. So avoid Push on hills etc.
- Could tell also that what speed you should enter the top of hill if you dont want to overspeed on the downhill. Also driver can tell what the driver is willing to speed.
- navigator should tell how fast driver should go to reach the destination on time
- Basic BSFc maps are prettyu similar if you feed engine displacement, fuel type, turbo or non turbo, max torgue and power points. From there the computer can estimate the fuel map.
- Places of speed signs so you can glide before you can even see them and of course the computer calculates optimal gliding points.
- tell optimal acceleration and decelaration methods.

Where would you get that topografic map?

If you can do those then I can tell even more extreme stuff that is needed to make it best navigator app. If that navi has everything and they save easily over 20% on fuel costs people are ready to pay big $ for it. Most expensive navigators in finland cost well over 400€ and simple stuff like this over 1000€. Mobileye | Fleet Safety. Also that kind of thing is needed in some funtions I have planned.

Why people buy phones and then navigators when that can be one unit and you save money and time.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast