View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
The cost of the hot rod is impressive (low!). I assume this does not count the cost of tools. Looking at the price of cars today, it would be nice to build a vehicle that does not require a huge loan to get it. A lot of time was spent on this project. For most people, there would be many more hours of learning how to do things. I'm sure there are many ways of doing things wrong, and I tend to follow those paths a few times before getting it right.

The sections on chassis and suspension were very helpful, steering and suspension design has always been a mystery to me, and the explanations really opened my eyes and made me want to learn more. Using a donor vehicle for the suspension and drivetrain parts makes a lot of sense. Using the "old" rear wheel drive configuration is simpler.

I would like to learn how to build a practical commuter car using a tractor diesel motor. It should be aero but could have some retro style too. Maybe something like a 53 Studebaker but smaller and more attention to aero. Or it could be a simpler body style, I'm sure it is difficult to get curved windows.

Last edited by skyl4rk; 07-30-2011 at 07:35 AM..