View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

My 1st experience w a Fiesta came for me as the Courier Company I worked for from the mid-70's to the mid 80's bought 4 of them to work along side w Econoline vans, and a couple of Fairmont wagons ( the 302 was fun )

In addition to city type runs, I got to drive one on a 8hr. shift some 240 miles or so on a route going to, along, and back from the Oregon coast to Portland.

It was light, fun, spunky, and good w gas.

I liked it well enough to buy my own years later in about '98 or so, and kept it until I was enjoying an '82 Diesel Quantum wagon more bought around '02.

The Fiesta served me very well. I only wish that the pedals had been designed at a slightly different angle, as all day driving became a little tiring w my 6 "4 frame in it.

I had a white on tan '78. I spent a week on vacation taking mostly back highways to Glacier National Park and back, heavily loaded, and got up to 49mpg. with it!

I certainly had no fear in buying one. The in house mechanic that we had at the Courier Company, said that the only thing that was Fiesta repair related, was that he had to once in a while replace the wiper motors.
Keep in mind that it rains alot here, and these cars were used all day 5 days a week on day, and night shifts. It wasn't unusual to see 500 miles a Day!

It's sad that so few remain today, and that most people mistake them for a VW Rabbit!

I took the bumpers off of mine, so that it would look like a tough Rally car.

I built custom round turn signals in front, and additional taillights in back , by changing round clearance lights into the functioning park/signals. These lenses were epoxied into a short white PCV collar, which in turn was epoxied on the sides, and tapped back into the round bumper crash strut reciptical for a fine tight flush fit that looked Euro factory!