View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Bdorion1
EcoModding Lurker

Fresh Powder - '12 Nissan Versa S
Well I know there is a difference in cars after 1996 because they have an OBD-II port. Its my understanding the emissions test is all electronic? Maybe thats a misunderstanding, but in my mind a muffler wouldn't reduce any pollution anyways (other than noise) so I don't see how they could fail me just for that. Maybe my mechanic gave me a break, or maybe yours was trying to rip you off by charging you to fix the hole. Maybe someone else has a better idea of how this works than me.

If I'm gonna try to do the repair myself how do I attach the pipe to the triangular shaped hole on the catalytic converter? Or does it have to be a pipe made for this specific car? I guess thats kind of an off topic question for this site, but since you've been through this I might as well ask.

Even more off topic, the gf already knows I'm cheap. We've been dating for years and apparently she finds it endearing or something otherwise she'd be long gone. Although in the short run a big spender is flattering, in the long run I think frugality (read: reduced financial troubles) reigns. Besides, I think saving money is at least 50% of the reason anyone is on this site. That being said, I don't think CO poisoning is high on my list of things to do so I think I'll give fixing it up a shot.