View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #100 (permalink)
CrazyLee
EcoModding Lurker

The Beast - '93 Fleetwood Flair includes kitchen sink
90 day: 9.2 mpg (US)

The Bigger Beast - '03 Winnebago Sightseer Motor Home
Wheel skirts

Hi Charles,

I have found that the MPGuino seems to work but it presently shows more mpg than I atually get. The difference is about 1 mpg more than what the RV gets by fuel mpg calculations. I haven't recalculated the mpg to reset it. I just got back from a 5300 mile trip to Vancouver WA from Muskegon, MI. Actual total mpg was 10.49. This included a lot of hot 100 degree driving and mountains too. The A/C only showed -.2 mpg for the cooler air. We ran it continuously. Not bad. The headlights showed a -.1 mpg This I was surprised to see. Usually the MPGuino showed 12 mpg or 11.9. at 50 to 55 mph. It didn't vary much. My driving speed started at 50 mph and later went to 55 mph. 50 is just too slow! I do know that 50 mph will get a solid 12-13 mpg.

I think the Pulse and Hold injectors on the 454 GM engine messes up the MPGuino's readings. I read all the posts on this problem but I haven't tried their ideas yet. I will soon, and also try an Operation Amplifier to square up the wave form for a true pulse with modulated signal.

The wheel skirts were a toss up. I ran with them off and on. Maybe a -.2 mpg loss! I put them on on the way home. I think they just look neat. LOL
At 55 mph the wind resistance is not that great. If you drive like I see all the big RV's (at 70 mph) are going maybe the wheel skirts would help. I think that RV manufactures have probably ruled them out by now anyway.

My settings on the MPGuino are what I ran. I played around with the VSS delay and set it lower to 7. the I had a problem with reading @ 60 mph fuel use since the reading would go down to 1.5 mpg! Now the mpg stays about 10-12. Still too high, I think 8 mpg would be better @ 60.

Stay tuned for the MPGuino injector tests later this summer, or maybe September.

I have a OBDI plug on this rig. Maybe it had an ODBII inside the ECM with a ODBI connector. Some Corvettes had this arrangement. I forgot that question when my auto tech hooked up his scanner. I couldn't read the ECM with my ALDL cable and laptop hooked to the ECM.

If I have this I wouldn't need the MPGuino, just read the computer screen.
No messing with computer parameters, wires and stuff.

Cheers, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles7a View Post
Hi Lee,

Are the MPGuino settings on your webpage the current settings you are using for your motor-home? I have a similar motor-home and have just received my MPGuino in the mail.

My motor-home is a 28' Class A 1995 Winnebago Warrior w/ a TBI 454. I have been using a netbook, TunerPro, and an ADL cable to get instant MPG for my motor-home. The MPGuino will be a simpler setup.

Modifications so far:
AquaTune AquaThrust Plus HB
AirTabs
Synthetic engine oil
Fabricated cold air intake
Fabricated front air dam
Accel Super Coil
8.5 MM Spark Plug Wires
K&N air filter
All 6 tires inflated to 90PSI

I am curious to find out if your fabricated wheel well covers/skirts made a difference. In my previous motor-home I used AirTabs in front of the wheel wells to redirect the airflow around the wheel wells. I also had AirTabs in front of the large truck style mirrors and at the rear of the roof-top A/C. I was aiming for "the ugliest motor-home on the road" since that motor-home was ugly to begin with. My current motor-home only has AirTabs at the rear of the motor-home. For now...

My fabricated air dam wraps around to the front wheel wells and goes down to ~5" above ground. It is flexible enough to withstand "eating curbs".

Charles