View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydonengineering View Post
The advice I got from here that has helped my MPG more than anything is that getting good MPG is about how you stop rather than how you start. You are not going to get great mileage under acceleration no matter how you do it. You need to make good on the gas investment you made by not wasting the energy by using the breaks. Look ahead and plan ahead to you can controll your speed by letting OFF the gas rather than putting ON the brakes. That often means long following distances in town which is a safe way to drive anyway.
Right on!

It's been debated back and forth as fas as what rate of acceleration is best. Personaly, I've found it hard to notice a difference either way. What really kills your mileage is unecessary acceleration. Hard acceleration is generally thought of as bad becuase, in many cases, people accelerate hard only to have to brake hard at the stop that's right up ahead. It's really the braking that is wasting all the energy.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html