View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #382 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
The NY metro area is very similar to the entire Northeast corridor from Boston to Wash. DC. I suppose that large region is not representative of America, either?
Nope. Look at a map sometime, and notice what a small fraction of the country that northeast corridor actually is.

Then spend a little time in areas of that corridor outside the NYC metro area - and not that far out, either, say north of Tarrytown* through most of Connecticut into eastern Massachusetts - and you'll see that it's not much like NYC at all.

(I spent some time at IBM's Watson Lab, just north of Tarrytown, a few years ago when they were first developing the BlueGene. It's an interesting place, on a hill about 30 miles from Manhattan. From the entry you have a panoramic view to the north & west, and you can't even see another building.)

Quote:
You expressed disdain for the widespread popularity of McD's - not only in America, but worldwide. As such, you are opposed to what McD's represents: the spread and acceptance of American culture, globally.
Why not go back and read what I actually wrote? To expand a bit on what I said, I think every culture has good parts and bad parts. The problem, to my way of thinking, is that other countries mostly adopt the worst parts of American culture, and ignore the good parts.

Quote:
McD's has long been a target of the anti-globalist Left. Since it represents American culture, that is reason enough for you to hate it.
Oh, merde! First, I'm not in any way, shape, or form a leftist. Second, I don't hate McDonalds, I regard it with contempt. Third, my dislike of McDonalds and similar enterprises, like that of many people, has nothing to do with Americanization, globalization, or politics, and everything to do with the love of good food. (The left may jump on the issue and use it, as they do with others, but we can't help that.)

Last edited by jamesqf; 08-04-2011 at 12:36 PM..