View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
As far as preventing people from renting, we don't really have set rules. As long as someone has a "full" driver's license (there is a graduated licensing program here, so it takes a few years before a new driver has earned a proper license), are over the age of 21, and has a pulse they meet our "on paper" criteria. Though since we own all our rentals, in the end it is really up to us personally if we want to rent a car to someone. If they come in talking about how they have to rent a car because after their 17th accident they can't get insurance for their own car anymore, well we probably won't rent to them.

The car itself is nothing special, like I said I went cheap in case this idea bombs. It's a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am 2 door, but it has an Ecotec 2.2L, factory alloys, and it's black (I am a sucker for any black 2 door car with a stick), but it's really clean with low miles so if anyone does rent it at least it will be a nice ride. I know a smaller car would have been better, but with gas prices the way they are it would have cost me $1500 or so more for something smaller at the auction. This thing was such an oddball and ran so late in the night auction last night that it was pretty much just me and the janitor left in the auction lanes so I got it cheap enough to be able to feel comfortable taking a risk on it. I am going to put a full tank of fuel through it myself before it gets rented out, just for fun to get some FE numbers out of it - er I mean for safety purposes of course.

Oh and we do let people go out of country as long as they let us know first as we have to adjust our coverage on the car they are taking. Most rental places just don't want to bother with the extra effort, but they can do it, here in B.C. anyway.

Last edited by War_Wagon; 08-04-2011 at 12:35 PM..