View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Perception of what? A lot would depend on where you live and ride (commute).

Driving a CB125 in traffic in some areas of the US would border on insanity, gearing it up 10 teeth would be lethal.

Performance is safety in some situations.

Jay
But that is merely perception, and helps demonstrate my point

You perceive performance as a safety issue, I see performance getting a lot of squids into bad situations. A lot of people see motorcycles themselves as lethal (though personally I blame cars more often after you survive being a squid). Some think you are insane if you don't have a helmet, etc, etc.

Your best safety equipment is your head, if you had a vw bug, you don't merge when there isn't enough room. Performance isn't a safety issue unless you are impatient, which is the bigger issue and can still get you killed if your Hurricane skips a beat when pulling in front of that semi (and bogs down to VW acceleration momentarily).

No, no correlation between performance and safety, just as likely to get you killed from my perspective. The only thing performance seems to help is in burning more gas, which is a conflicting goal on this site. I wouldn't trust "instincts" on this one. You wrap someone in a cage, they get complacent, you put someone on a rocket, they go faster and encounter more problems, sooner.

I'm from chicago area too, and I say try it, it is a cheap experiment. You hopefully still know how to downshift when you need to