View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #378 (permalink)
DJBecker
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyguy View Post
Thanks DJ. I really appreciate this. Particularly the cheap shots you took in your comments. I am a hardware guy with this representing only my second attempt at writing PIC code. I don't know C , am not a programmer (which I made clear at the beginning of this thread). I only even started this as a goodwill gesture at sharing a project I thought other cougar owners would find useful.
I'm done here.
Actually, I thought that you would be a little miffed at a pointless conversion from carefully written, tight ASM into C code that inevitably takes more code and data space.

I must say, if that's really only your second project, it's amazing well structured code. I would have guessed that it started as the output from an optimizing compiler and was then hand tuned and optimized. It's way better than the code produced by many professional programmers. (And I've done a *lot* of formal and informal code review.)

I hope you understand that the real point of this was so that I could write a CAN bus extension for you. To do that I needed to get a better understanding of your code so that I could make minimal changes. If you look at the CAN add-on I did for the Cougar code, I managed to hook into it with only two lines added to the main source file.