View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #396 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
It is one of the most populated areas of the country, unlike the sparsely populated area where YOU live.
Which makes it less like the rest of the country, no?

Quote:
I have spent the past 35 years traveling several times a year to stay with my in-laws who lived on a farm in Massachusetts. But you assume I've never seen a rural area before. How disgustingly condescending of you.
No, I didn't assume you've never seen a rural area, I assumed that you had never seen the substantial amounts of rural area that exist within that Northeast corridor which you claimed is like NYC. Since you say you have seen some of it, my original assumption was wrong, and I now have to assume that you're either a) a liar; or b) unable to draw conclusions from your observations.

Quote:
But what does this have to do with the topic of flags on cars? Nothing.
It is an observation that goes to disprove your claim that the Northeast corridor is all like NYC. Watson is only about 30 miles from Manhattan, yet is fairly rural. I could have picked many other places to use as examples; I chose one that I had visited fairly recently, and so had first-hand knowledge of.

Quote:
You cited it as being one of the worst things about America.
Yes, I did, and still do. But the point I was trying to make - which seems to have escaped you entirely - was about other countries. Now if you don't think McDonalds &c are among the worst things about the US, I can only say that tastes differ, and I'm glad I don't share yours.

Quote:
Do you really think we can't read or that we have no recollection of what you wrote?
No, it's your lack of reading comprehension that I see as being the problem here.

Quote:
Oh, pardonnez-moi! "Contempt" is so much more enlightened and sophisticated than ordinary "hatred"!
I wouldn't know about that, but it IS different. In addition to reading comprehension, I'd suggest some work on vocabulary :-)

Quote:
Your "dislike" of enterprise in general is the same as the Left...
And why would you think I dislike enterprise in general? I'm all in favor of it. I just think it ought to be directed towards improving quality of life, rather than creating messes which the rest of us have to live with.

Quote:
...your pronounced "contempt" is also in step with that same sentiment shared by the Left...
Add political science to the list of things you need to work on.