View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
dennyt
in tents

The Adventure Wagon - '94 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4x4
Subaru
90 day: 33.43 mpg (US)

Electro-Monkey - '11 Surly Karate Monkey BMC V2S Front Hub Motor
90 day: 694.1 mpg (US)
I'm with Arragonis here - I cruise at the posted speed limit on long flat stretches with traffic, but I also P&G with EOC when hills, stops, and traffic allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
If it were valid then why would the scientists who work on eco - competitions not do it?
Because they build cars with small enough engines that they are operating near full throttle at steady-state cruise. Compare this to our daily drivers with engines sized for acceleration and "sportiness".

Also, it's not just "scientists" doing it - NASCAR of all places has started using pulse & glide.

Quote:
Why wouldn't hybrids do it too? I mean they could P&G with electric and fuel.
I've had this thought before as well. It would be fun to test!

Just because something isn't available on the market, doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Quote:
An accelerating engine consumes more fuel per unit of energy produced.
Most engines have the lowest BSFC near 80% throttle at low RPM. Of course acceleration enrichment varies by fuel system, but in a high gear the RPM rate of change is pretty slow.

Quote:
Finally, P&G pollutes significantly more. Most vehicle emissions are tied to the cat temps. When you shut the engine off, the cat cools below it's effective range, restart it and for the next 20-30 seconds you will be sending somewhere around 5-10x the pollutants out the tailpipe.
This is an interesting consideration that isn't discussed much around here, perhaps because we don't have emissions instrumentation on our dashboards. Does anybody have experience driving around with emissions instrumentation?

Last edited by dennyt; 08-05-2011 at 02:01 PM..