View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #179 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
little update

*Yesterday I completed the inverted-splitter/flow corrector.
*This morning I removed both lower bellypan sections,cut them back to relieve the interference,got 'em de-burred,and re-installed with new hardware.
*I trimmed off the top of the rubber centerline gap seal to clear underneath the new flow corrector and installed it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I've had the tailgate off the truck and integrator installed,and can look in the rear-view mirror to view the face of the trailer.So I tufted it to see what the flow looked like.
* Without the gap-filler panel on top,there was a perfect downwash with the exception of the outer extreme edges,which did,remarkably, have flow to the rear.
*By extending the face with the flow corrector,some of the downwash is being directed such that more of the flow is directed outwards instead of downwards.
*Since the diffuser needs repair,I'll do that next,go ahead and widen the base to align with the trailers outline and get it re-installed.
* Then I'll re-install the rest of the belly.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*At this point I'll be in a position to road test the rig without any of the panels,and simulate,perhaps,a best case scenario for an optimized trailer sans gap-fillers.
*I'll have to wait for lower winds.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
* My entry forms and payment for USFRA membership,130 MPH Club,and track preparation fees went out in the mail today.
* I carried the upper gap-filler panel frame with me to town and installed it in the shade of a tree near the post office to look at its alignment on the level.I'll better know now how to proceed with that.
*The bellypan sections will now allow completion of the panel frame end support rollers.
* Soon I'll be able to think about skins for the frames.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Also,I'll drag out the NT650 Honda Hawk swing-arm/mono-shock/wheel assembly and see if I can begin to work a miracle in adapting that into the Viking chassis.
*I'll focus on the gross projects first and attend to the fit and finish aesthetics stuff as time permits.
* I think I'm going to call it "Pair o' Grins",a *******ization of perrigrine(falcon),my favorite raptor,who's body shape as influenced the entire project.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (08-05-2011), bondo (08-05-2011), orbywan (08-05-2011)