View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #158 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aporigine View Post
I did not know that the first iteration of the T-bird was well-regarded....
I was surprised too but "Classic and Sportscar" (a mag here which tends towards the "classic British GTs are best" meme) did a side by side test of an XK140 against a "MK1a" Thunderbird echoing tests by others at the time. The details were there including memos written by Jaguar's distributors in the US to the factory in the UK. At the time Jaguar were a limited production company hoping to make as much money as possible abroad including the US by basically offering a cut-price exotica experience. The Thunderbird threatened that dream.

Quote:
I hold the minority opinion that the 550 Maranello is one of the loveliest cars to ever come from Modena ...
The absolute beauty for me is the 250 GT Lusso which I have appreciated since I had a toy one (Matchbox) as a child, but from your era the one before the 550 - the 456 was sublime IMHO. I'm odd though, I like the Bertone Ferrari - the 308 GT/4, and the farina 400/412.

My all time favourite supercar is not a Ferrari though, it is split between the original LP400 Countach (the one without the wings and spoilers) and the Lancia Stratos. The LP400 is a 70s spaceship on the road, which is what a supercar is all about.

Quote:
...even if Jeremy someone has excellent fun excoriating it mercilessly on that Longest Available Ratio show of his.
Mr Clarkson apparently likes the modern Corvette - for the money. He hated the original 1984 one (google his video review) only because of the ride and the OHV engine, which is fair enough if we are honest.

To be a world winner the modern Vette only needs some really cool GT styling, and perhaps RHD ?

Quote:
Ah, pony cars. Yes, cost is mentioned in re the current Mustang's primitive rear suspension...
I read a long and rather boring posting somewhere (TTAC - yawn) about how the Mustang's designers selected a live axle because of the drag racers - apparently a solid cart beam gives some kind of advantage there - and the factory wanted to support the racers. The argument didn't gain any, excuse the phrase, traction. And TBH my response is "yeah, right, moving on...."

Quote:
cheers apo
Cheers yourself, I like supercar talk.