View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #111 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
You have made some sweeping assumptions about the operation of many ECUs and the programming logic behind them, which is unlikely to be borne out upon close inspection.
I have never had an install throw a fault code with this tech - sorry!
And you are making sweeping generalizations from seeing the results of installed aftermarket traction control systems (sorry, missed that part).

Unless I'm mistaken, traction control only engages when wheel slip is detected. That sort of situation would either happen for a period of perhaps seconds (if traction loss is detected while driving) or upon acceleration (traction loss due to acceleration). Either situation is not comparable to regular cruising.

This is an entirely different situation from regular cruising. I will grant that engine misfire monitors for early OBDII cars did not detect the full range of engine operation conditions, but they would certainly operate during regular cruise mode. Engines can and do misfire all the time, but engine computers are programmed to ignore momentary misfires. They will certainly pick up misfires that occur at least once per two crankshaft revolutions over a period of greater than a few seconds.

Don't believe me? Rig up a toggle switch to shut off one fuel injector, then engage that switch while doing steady driving down the road. I guarantee you'll get either a P0300 or one of P0301 through P0308 (misfire detected in cylinder 1 through 8). To the engine computer, it doesn't really matter if the misfire only occurs in one cylinder or equally among all of them. It will still see the loss of power due to the shut off cylinder.

Last edited by t vago; 08-05-2011 at 07:41 PM..