Thread: % Domestic
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
IamIan -

Is there a way to get info on previous years?

CarloSW2
The link in my opening post for the AALA goes back to 2005 model year cars... Is that previous enough?

If you are going back further than that ... I do not know of as easy to click type of method / source as that AALA link from above.

The AALA ( American Automobile Labeling Act ) that started the % Domestic requirement effects any vehicle made after October 1 of 1994 ... so the % domestic had to be available , but I don't know if it always had to be labeled on the new car like it does today ... Initially it might have just needed to be available if asked for , like McDonalds Nutrition information ... so back to then the information should be out there somewhere ... even if not as easy as the point and click back to 2005 on the previous link.

Although even as far back as the 1980's I remember my uncle who was really big on 'Buying American' did the leg work for a few vehicles he was considering ... I don't know everything he went through ... but he used to joke he could have built the car in the amount of time it took him to get a straight answer... He was a mechanical engineering and might have had a few contacts the average person would not have had... and researching for 'buying American' was a regular hobby of his... so I suspect that anything prior to the AALA would have required a lot of hassle.