View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintown View Post
I was thinking the transmission must weight at least 100lbs too, right? That along with the engine, and exhaust, etc should be at least 300lbs right? That would give me some room to work with as far as the generator, batteries, and motors go.
The transmission weighs about 75 pounds and is tiny, the only reason that I had some help me carry the engine and the transmission while they were bolted together for my CRX was that there wasn't any good hand holds, but if you are wearing cloths that can get dirty picking up and carrying the two bolted together is not a problem, so altho I didn't put them on a scale, I know that they are not heavy, nor big.

You said you plan to bolt the batteries to the underside of the car??? figure that you need around a foot of height for batteries and that again, unless you like buying batteries, you want to be able to get to them to check them every few months to check your cable connections and your water level, last time I looked at my Honda fuel tank, it looked to be about 6" thick and was pressed up to the under side of the car the other 6" is needed for ground clearance.

As for hub motors, do you have fabrication skills? a machine shop? I do and I would still stay away from hub motors because they are going to take a lot of work to make the rest of the parts you need to fit it to an existing vehicle.
Before you order from Golden Motors, you might take a look at what vehicles use their motors Motor Brand: Golden Motors and notice that if you manage to put together a car using one of their motors you will be the first and it's not because that company is new, I started looking at their products over ten years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
newguyintown (08-06-2011)