View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
OBD II - testing for it's presence?

For my 2003 Pulsar, I have the OBD connector located, and have after many days of searching deduced that the connector supports a combination of "DDL1", "DDL2" and ISO9141.
DDL1 & DDL2 appear to be Nissan's Consult II type system for CAN network.

Figuring that I didn't want to invent an invented wheel with the OBDuino, I ordered and tested an ELM327 adapter on the plug - the adapter works in that when I open a screen session to the adapter, I can see it's Querying and Unable to connect.

It pointed to it's inability to speak to the ECU basically. So I looked up the pins, and figuring it might be something to do with CAN network, I cut the wires in the ELM327 to only have the required ISO9141 pins, 4,5,7, and 16. My car doesn't have a pin in 15 - which seems normal.

However, no joy there, I opened a screen session, sent 01 01, and still same result.

I kept searching, found that the ELM327 might not work with Nissan's Sentra 1.8 2003 - I think it might equate to Nissan's Pulsar. I also found Nissan Sunny N16 doesn't work - again, similar to the Pulsar.

So, I think the ELM327 is at fault.

But I have the arduino - and already ordered the SI9243 chip (still waiting on this though). What worries me is that I might not be able to get OBD II Communication if it's not implemented - how can I test for this in a simpler manner?

CAN communication might be another possibility (and would be better in terms of speed), and I note there is an OBDuino setup using "CAN".

I've googled around to see if perhaps, another ecomodder has come across it but then I figured it would be less likely as the overwhelming members are US- which is legislated to support OBD II.

Any tips on how I can be sure it's just the ELM327 that's the issue? Perhaps some way of interfacing the K-Line to the arduino and getting garbage data ?