View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
homeworkhome53
EcoModding Apprentice

Workride - '07 Chevrolet Aveo5 SVE
90 day: 51.74 mpg (US)
Hypermiling translates vehicle to vehicle

I have a truck. I don't drive the truck, bad mpg I think, maybe 100 miles all winter to get fire wood . I keep it for that and to haul the boat to ther lake maybe 5 times a year. I drive a small car, Aveo for the MPG. The Aveo takes a hit from a deer and goes to the shop for repair. So I drive my wifes ride, a CRV, gets pretty good MPG. But wife wants her own car to drive some days, so I drive the truck. Just for kicks and because I'm already habitualized to driving in a hypermiling way. I hypermile the truck, I top the tank off, gas even with the filler pipe block. I drive to work. 35 mph on the back roads, 45 on the highway, coasting to stops, 45 psi in the tires, usual stuff. 54.1 miles round trip. I fill again, even to the filler pipe block. 1.81 gallons of gas. Now if my math is correct that is 29.88 mpg. This a full sized short bed Chevy '94' 4.3L with 185,000 miles. When it was new it would get 21mpg, normal driving on long highway trips. I am impressed, but mostly I'm impressed with you guys. You've shown me there is another way and I like it. No, the Chevy isn't going to be my daily drive, but I am going to air up the boat trailer tires and see if I can get to lake Michigan and back on under a 1/4 of a tank.