View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
graydonengineering
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I was looking at the Ferrari 599XX race car.They've done essentially what you've done with the soffet vents,bringing the air outside the bellypan and then they suck it back into the diffuser and blow it out where the taillights would be on a road car.
It's got to help with the firewall temps.
Nice work.Love the bungee cord!
I have noticed that but I never realized what it was for, now it makes a bit more sense. The vent I added in the pan and a fairly small hole in the driver side wheel well of about 4" squared are the only places for air to get out at the rear of the engine compartment. It would be great if the vent creates an up draft allowing more hot air to be sucked into the intake. I will be checking my intake temps and see how it goes. The intake temps have run very high which may account for part of my mpg gains so far and I don't want to loose that. May have to play around with that a bit more.

I am very close to being done with the belly pan! I should finish net week. Still need to finish the rear wheel wells an put up some vertical material next to the leaf springs to smooth the flow further. After that, I will move on to whatever I expect might give me the best gains with the lease effort. Maybe some clear lexan rear wheel well skirts. I was thinking of using lexan angle and some clear plastic fasteners... Try to make them as invisible as possible.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to graydonengineering For This Useful Post:
slowmover (08-08-2011)