View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
PeterS
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
to me the scooter transmission IS the belt-pully variator, like in the changzuki.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post244431 , I believe that is the "comet" transmission there.

The appeal of the variator with a diesel motorcycle conversion is clear, they are readily available and not too expensive and there are plenty of working examples. But I have been researching suitable gearboxes as well, and personally would rather go through the effort to have a clutch and gears. I can get over 100mpg on my 250 without the conversion (and with plenty of available acceleration and top speed), I have to aim a lot higher than 104MPG to make it worth the effort for me, and I think gears would help, but it is a notably more challenging path at current and not for everyone.

The appeal of diesel for me is being able to make my own biodiesel ,it's not only cheap ...which is always appealing ! but as I'm also very interested in low carbon emission transport .I have an excellent source of good clean used veg oil and 2400 litres stockpiled .My two 4 wheel vehicles are diesel and I'd like to replace my horribly inefficient R80 BMW with a diesel bike !

Last edited by PeterS; 08-07-2011 at 11:07 PM..