View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHatch
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '99 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 37.39 mpg (US)
Project Iron-Pig: My 1996 Land Cruiser Diesel Conversion

My Daily Driver is a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80. I really really like this truck, I just hate the miserable fuel economy offered up by the stock 1FZFE engine... 12MPG on average.

So, I'm putting a diesel in it...

Here's a bit of Toyota Trivia info for you... the FJ62, FJ80, and early FZJ80 Land Cruisers had A440F and A442F automatic transmissions in them which are made by Aisin Seiki. Aisin Seiki coincidentally make most if not all of Toyotas transmissions. Well the A440F and A442F transmissions are very similar in design/construction to the AW450-43LE transmission that is found in MANY vehicles, which include Isuzu NPR Medium Duty Trucks, Mitsu Fuso Medium Duty Trucks, UD Medium Duty Trucks, Hino Medium Duty Trucks, as well as many other japanese trucks and busses. Aisin Seike is the Allison of Japan.

The A440F is an old school fully mechanical automatic trans.
The A442F is electronically shifted, but has mechanically modulated line pressure via a TV cable to the throttle body.
The AW450-43LE is fully electronic, has beefed up internals, more clutches, etc. But is essentially an evolutionary step forward from the above transmissions. The difference? It is RWD while the above are 4WD.

So here is where I'm at...

Here is the recipient:

I bought a wrecked 99 Mitsubishi Fuso FE-SP box truck with 123k miles for $1800 bucks.

I then proceeded to tear the entire truck apart, had a lot of fun with the plasma cutter, and made several trips to the recycling center.

When all was said and done, there was 1240lbs of Aluminum, and several thousand pounds of lite iron scrap. I made $1280 back in recycling all the stuff. (I'm so green, aren't I? haha)

Here is the 4D34-3AT3B

It is a 3.9L, 4 cylinder, turbo-diesel that makes 145HP and 285lb-ft of torque. So more torque and less power than the stock engine. Considering the box trucks get 13-15MPG hauling around 10,000lbs of truck with the aerodrnamics of a brick wall, I think it should do a good deal better in my 6,000lb cruiser with less than half the frontal area of the Fuso. We'll see!

Steam cleaned it a bit...

Here is the AW450-43LE:

I forgot to take pictures of the A442F I got from a junkyard before I started tearing it apart, so here are a few pics of one I found online. You can see the similarities.

So what you need to do is swap the 2WD extension housing for the 4WD extension housing, as well as the output shafts. To get the output shaft out, you need to tear down the entire trans.

Here is my A442F upon teardown...

My improvised tool for pulling the trans apart.

Parts Bag'd and tag'd.

All the internals stacked up on the torque converter.

I steam cleaned my AW450-43LE and mounted it to an engine stand:

Tore than one down too...

Here you can see the differences in the output shafts...

So now I'm at the point where I need to put the AW450-43LE back together with the A442F output shaft in place. I ordered a AW450-43LE transmission overhaul kit with new clutches/gaskets/etc., which I should have by this coming weekend. Then I'll spend saturday morning putting the trans back together. I can then bolt the Land Cruiser extension housing and transfer case to this trans. Since the trans mount is on the extension housing, my driveshafts will bolt right up, and installing the motor will be as simple as making the two engine mount brackets, plumbing, wiring, etc. Fun fun!!!