View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Quasimoto
Quasi-Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
I'm currently in the planning stages of all my aeromods and was thinking of the best way to seal a boat tail made out of sheet metal. To understand what I'm talking about look at the blue areas of my attached picture. I came up with the idea of using fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin when I saw some other aero mods. The only problem is, I have no idea how to do it. I looked it up on google, and I have a pretty good idea how to do it now. But, I wanna make sure my process if right so I'm asking you guys for help.

My process:
1. cut strips of fiber glass cloth
2. dip into epoxy resin
3. Lay strips onto sheet metal. Similar to paper mache.
4. Add layers until adequate. Drying time in between layers?
5. Sand down until even.
6. then everything is ready to prime and paint? or do I need bondo ontop?

I could also weld all the seams, but that seems like it would take a long time and involve a lot of grinding to get a smooth finish. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Jim

PS: photo not to scale. quick sketch.
What type of steel are you using for the tail? If not galvanized it would be strongest to just weld it. Galvanized brings with all types of extra problems; you shouldn't weld it (toxic fumes), not much sticks to it (fiberglass, paint) without proper preparation. How are you attaching the steel to the frame? If you decide on fiberglass; you should get some fiberglass tape, which is heavier than most cloth for the corners and seams. There are many different ways of applying resin to the cloth, all which work. Lots more work than just welding and grinding.