View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #63 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
"In the case of HOH, we get some energy out of water too. Water is a fuel, just like gasoline. Unfortunately, preparing water (electrolysis) takes a lot of energy, actually more than we get out of it by combustion of H in the engine. "

your still not getting it.

100% of all fuel methods you can dream up will ALWAYS take "more energy in" than you will get OUT of combustion (or whatever process you use)

when you make the statement you made you IMPLY directly that gasoline gives you more energy out than was required to GET that gasoline and this is patently false.

ALL ENERGY TRANSFERS ARE SUM NEGATIVE. PERIOD. End of Line.

according to the laws of physics as we know them this is an absolutely inviolate truth of the UNIVERSE AS WE KNOW IT.

energy in versus energy out is NOT RELEVANT.

what IS relevant (in this discussion) is not even what most people think.

TO me at least ecomodder has NOTHING to do with MPG's

it has to do with CPM.

COST PER MILE. it just so happens that higher MPG when using the same fuel always equals LOWER CPM.

but its CPM we are after.

I don't drive a Geo Metro getting 60mpg (last 4 tanks baby) to get 60mpg. I do it because 60mpg COST ME LESS MONEY.

even if HOH is insanely inefficient thats ok if #1 it works (I have no idea if it does in theory it should) and #2 what does it COST what is its CPM.

Electricity is CHEAP compared to gasoline. its darned near FREE compared to gasoline.

would I try HOH? NO. why? because by the time you have a large enough battery pack to make HOH usable you already have a large enough battery pack to go 5 times further with a simple electric motor.

ie with current tech it just can't work ie in a CPM consideration.