View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
SentraSE-R
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
My son & I looked at 2006 Hyundai Elantras and Kia Spectras earlier this year when his car died. The first Kia we looked at had lived 5 years in desert heat, and had not held up well. Its plastic headlight covers had yellowed. Its seat belt retractors did not retract. Its rear seat back releases were broken.

The owner of the second car lot we visited had sold the Hyundai we were interested in, but he was a straight shooter. I believed him, as everything he told me was factual, based on my knowledge. We talked about his profit margin, the condition of different cars on his lot, the cars he would recommend we look at, etc. He sold Hyundais, but not Kias. Their reliability still isn't up to sister Hyundai's rep.

That said, I rented an AT Kia Rio last year, and averaged 43.7 mpg over 3600 miles with it, with not a hint of problems. If I could drop two tanks when I was fighting 45 mph crosswinds crossing South Dakota, I'd have averaged >45 mpg with it. My last two tanks averaged 49 mpg!

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (08-11-2011)