View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #66 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38fln View Post
Actually you are incorrect about fuel tax - I'm going to use Missouri for an example. We actually overpay for the highways.

A few years back, the voters in Missouri forced the state to spend any money collected with the fuel tax program on highways ONLY - not on railroads, not on public parks, not on public transit, and certainly not dumped into the state's general fund - Just on the highways that the fuel purchased was burned on, which was the original intention of the fuel tax program anyway.

The highway department wound up with so much money that they were able to repave every interstate highway in the state, finish several construction projects EARLY, and replace many bridges.

The legislature of the state eventually figured out a way to get the money diverted back into the general fund, but that's all the proof I ever needed that we more than pay for our highway systems. This was 2007 if I remember correctly, so it's not like it's from a bygone time or anything silly like that.

I couldn't have said it any better...

Sadly, as you pointed out, politicians will always find a way to divert that fuel tax money into the general fund...

>