View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Matt.0
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up EV: CRX vs Porsche 914 - best range

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at getting a lightweight coupe for an EV conversion. I've looked at getting a del sol, mr2, fiero, metro, etc... but I pretty much narrowed it down to either a Honda CRX or Porsche 914.

Thing is, I have a few problems. A) I don't know enough about cars to completely scrap the car and complete an EV conversion. B) I drive 20-60 miles a day, and sometimes (rarely) up to 80. Mostly freeway.

So, I have been researching prices to have a shop complete the EV conversion for me. I have a few questions. First... which car would work better for a high-range EV conversion? They are both light (approx 2000lbs), but I'm worried about how many batteries either car can hold, and weight distribution. Second... how much do you think a shop could charge for doing this? Is it worth it to learn it all myself?

Here's the thing... I own a great condition Acura RSX 2002 that I could sell for around 6,000... and I have more money to spend converting my future car to EV... so I might just pay someone to do it if I find the right place.

Thanks in advanced

Matt