View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #4989 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Well, yes it is working, but after one blew up, I did some major sole searching (I went fishing for sole. haha) and completely and fundamentally changed everything. I think the new version is much better suited to higher current. The isolation pad material no longer goes on the backs of the mosfets and diodes. That was a major bottleneck. Also, for the diodes, current never goes through only one leg. There's also an RC snubber network right at each mosfet, and each mosfet has its own voltage clamp circuit. Also, each 3 mosfets have their own isolated supply. Controller A is to Controller B as Chicken is to Chicken McNugget.

I want to make a single prototype that I payed for that blows up or not. It stresses me out for others to pay for my mistakes. Before, I could just partially reimburse someone or make them a different controller, but now it's crunch time. Baby in December, and we can't live here! haha.

Flores: I don't know the cheapest route. The PCBCart way of doing it would be several hundred for all three boards' setup fees and to get just 1-3 of them made. The stupid 4 ounce board generally can't be made cheap anywhere I think since no one uses 4 ounce.