View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mifunego
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Yeah, that's the thing about most accidents - they're avoidable. And I admit such. Could I have kept my eye on the mirrors, and on this guy in back of me? And could I have swerved onto the shoulder? Probably. By that statement, then yes I may have been able to avoid the accident. However did I violate any traffic law (running a red light, passing on a one-lane ramp)? No, I drove within the guidelines of the law.

And since there wasn't an explosion or a roll over, I don't think anyone really took notice. A minor fender bender at 6:30am on a very busy expressway doesn't even get a second look around here. Also, this stoplight wasn't at an intersection - there is no camera. It's basically red all the time, until a car rolls up to it, then there is maybe a 10 second pause until it turns green for a moment. Just an on-ramp control.

Regarding the ticket (i.e., revenue generator), I can:
1. Admit guilt and pay $120, and have the ticket go on my record
2. Admit guilt, pay $147, go to a 4 hour driving school, and not have the ticket on my record
3. Go to court and plead my case in front of the judge.

On principle, I want to go to court and tell my story. Unfortunately, if the other guy shows up, then it will become my word against his, and in the cash-strapped People's Republic of Illinois, I see me somehow losing for (as my ticket says) "Failure to yield."

Sigh. Probably just end up going to traffic school. Just like they want me to do.