View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #63 (permalink)
Galane
Master EcoModder

Impressive numbers with an auto. I'd never disable my AC or PS. I like comfort. A while back the PS return hose on my Buick somehow got to rubbing on the right CV joint, wore through and suddenly no PS. Ugh! Steers horribly even on the freeway. I was sooo happy it wasn't the pressure line. Would have to take out half the stuff under the hood to replace that. I got by with cutting a couple of inches out of the hose and inserting a brass fitting.

I had a Cimarron that would just die whenever it felt like. With no power the thing was like an unguided missile. Very high rolling resistance too. My Buick Century gets better MPG than the Cimarron, with a bigger engine and higher weight, coast down from 65 to 45 takes about three times as long in the Buick.

As for DWB, I used to drive a lot between Weiser and Grangeville, Idaho. 156 miles, non-stop. At the time there were only four stop signs on that route. When there were no nutcases on the road I could make the run in my 1977 Mustang without ever touching the brake pedal except at those four signs. Coasting down Whitebird Hill at 55 MPH at idle was fun. Didn't have to use the brake or gas, just let engine braking hold it back. Quite often some speed demon would blow past me at the top, roaring into the turns then hitting his brakes. I'd be right on his tail at the bottom of the hill.

"Who would want to buy a car with wheel skirts anyhow?" Ask any 1948-1954 Hudson or 1949-1957 Nash owner! From 49 to 56 Nash even had the front wheels fully or partially skirted. Such Nashes also used to be in the top finishers in economy runs.