Thread: Hi from Texas!
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
dkruitz
EcoModding Lurker

B2000 - '86 Mazda B2000 Base?
90 day: 21.25 mpg (US)
Hi from Texas!

I'm a wandering Canuck that now calls south central Texas home - midway between San Antonio and Austin. Owing to an unfortunate car fire this past June I did some personal soul searching in regards to my choice of vehicle and it's fuel economy. I used to drive a '99 Grand Marquis - great road car and I did actually get 28mpg once on a trip loaded with 3 adults a kid and all the luggage. But for general around town driving it seemed to be thirstier than I wanted.

So, after the car fire I bought a lightly used Roketa 150cc scooter - theoretically I can probably drive it 8-9 months out of the year down here. Of the 9 or so fillups I've had with it - I'm getting 76,1mpg average from it. Since I knew that the scooter won't be much fun in the ran or when it gets below 50 or 60 degrees, and I needed something to tow my antique boat and motors to the lake, I was on the lookout for a small pickup - I ended up getting an '86 Mazda B2000 (2000cc) for $700. It runs well and I've changed out the leaking gas tank, fuel and air filters, kept track of the air pressure in the tires, etc. I've just filled it (new tank) so I haven't gotten a record of mileage off of it yet.

I did just finish installing a vacuum gauge and wondered how to read it. At a given speed, is it the gear with the most vacuum that I want to be in for best fuel efficiency?

Future plans are a tyvek bed cover stretched over a frame like an airplane wing. Moon disks on the wheels, lower it an inch or two, fender skirts. Possible project might be a plexiglass or aluminum kammback off the cab - unless I hear from others that it's a waste of time with a pickup. In which case I might go with full aero cap.

My bone stock B2000, the day I bought it:
(oops can't post photos yet) try kruitzkraft . com / b2000