View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #174 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbywan View Post
You’re absolutely right, and let me give you an example. With no formal training in aerodynamics I just embarked on a very ambitious project, inspired to a large degree by the other ‘unwise’ people on this web site who have done amazing things with little or no formal training in this area. I took a rather large class C motor home which used to average 12 to 13 miles to the gallon on a good day, and by adding a boat tail, showed an improvement of about 25% so far. No telling how much the new belly pans and the reduced air inlets in the front will help.

What was I thinking? I might have done more harm than good!
Keep doing what you're doing. It's working.

Future suggested projects to consider:

1. Aero motorcycle mirrors to replace Dumbo the Elephant ear mirrors on Econoline van. Or, since you already have electronic cameras, eliminate outside mirrors entirely.

2. Garage door/lawn edging plastic air dam/spoiler

3. Pizza pan aluminum wheel covers

4. Wheel fairings per Prius or, better, per Aerohead's trailer

5. NACA duct inlets and outlets for belly pan cooling air

5. Aero-ized or covered windshield wipers. Maybe use of RainEx would make possible the complete elimination of windshield wipers.

6. Using redeployed existing cameras to fine tune all the above, esp. belly pan and wheel fairings, with real time tuft testing at highway cruise speed. After all, that's what you're trying to improve, so test at highway speed in case the airflow differs from lower speeds.

Last edited by Otto; 08-15-2011 at 04:06 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
orbywan (08-15-2011)