View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mifunego
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Really not having a good week hypermiling. Another ticket today.

Here I go, blaming hypermiling technique again. There's an off ramp on my way home that has a nice downhill slope with a 90+ degree left turn, but 5 lanes to make the turn across. The 'speed3 has more than enough suspension to easily make this turn at considerably faster than I can roll. Every @#(* day I roll down this hill and, EOnC through the intersection, and I can usually coast right up to the next light (which due to crappy "traffic control" is always red.)

Today, I was coming off the tollway onto this hill (River Road off 294 for you Chicago area folks) with amazingly no cars in front of me. I scooted through the intersection like I always do, maybe a little faster than normal since I didn't have to slow down for traffic. The tires squealed a bit, like they do normally, but WELL within their safe limit. Just my luck, Johnny Law, i.e. town revenue enhancer, objected to the sound and pulled me over. No explanation, no nothin.

"License and insurance card."
But officer, what is this about?
"LICENSE AND INSURANCE, SIR!"

Oh yippee. The state already has my driver's license due to the incident I had with the road rager (see post below.) Now I'm in "big trouble." He calls for backup. No kidding.

But officer, if I coast around the corner without giving it any gas, I'm still driving safely - but my tires are just a little noisey is all...
"Yeah? Tell it to the judge."

Seriously? "Tell it to the judge?" He said "Tell it to the Judge???" What is this, friggin' Dragnet or something?

"Sir, you need to follow me to the station, and the other officer will follow you in case you decide to not follow me." Are you guys @#*%ing serious?

I get to the station, and since I don't have a license to hand over, I need to come up with $200. Oh this is perfect. He lets me walk around the corner to the ATM, but not before telling me that if I decide not to come back, a warrant will be issued for my arrest.

Time for me to start taking the train.

And thanks for letting me vent.

And £*(# the Rosemont IL PD.