View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #348 (permalink)
graydonengineering
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Last weekend I hit a new new comute record, 35.4 one way, 33 average both ways! I still have work to do on my rear wheel wells and belly pan. Once I am done with that, I think I will also add a small air dam to address the still exposed front suspension.

Last night I filled my tires up a bit more. I did have them set at 40 all around vs. 33 factory recomendation. I went for 44 front (max sidewall) and 42 rear. What a differece! I left for work a bit late so I was in a bit of a hurry and even still hit 33.5 on the way in. The ride is not as soft but I like the positive feel in the corners. My tires have worn quite a lot on the outside corners anyway runing factory presure so I believe I will get a more consitant wear pattern this way anyhow. The higher presure should take some of the load off the outer edges. I have become more and more agresive in corners.

With the belly ban and mostly sealed engine bay, my intake tems are higher and I did end up needing to run higher octane gas to get full power out of my engine durring the hot summer temps. Intake temps have been in the 110 to 140 range. It really felt like a slug befor I filled up with midgrade on the current tank. I will plan on switching back to regular after summer. I had to do the same thing with my Honda Reflex 250cc bike a few years back. High temps do lead to pre-detonation and the higher octane corrects for it in my experience.

This tank is certainly on track to be my best so far. I believe I will be at 31 average.. Maybe even slightly better which a far cry from the days I really strugled to get over 25 mpg only 6 months ago!

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg