View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #279 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Phantom: The motor is capable of regen, but it's usually not right now (At higher rpm, I can see it feeding 10 amps or so) The batteries are charged by the grid charger.

Gor: What I can with what I got! I haven't disassembled it yet, just disconnected it. My thoughts are it's possible to get a system like this to be efficient, maybe even have regen capabilities with proper batteries.
But I'm thinking it will be easier, and a lot more efficient to simply have a neutral coast ability. It doesn't help that my car is an automatic so I'm fighting the transmission as well as the engine for delivering power to the wheels.
That said, with a lot more tinkering I could see this being very helpful if I were to get a smaller engine in the car. Thanks for the graph overlay as well. Check out my 2.5 SOHC torque curve a few pages back. A lot flatter than the PT cruisers.

Bwilson4: I can independently control the system. The hand throttle allows me to give it as little or as much power as I want. A completely EV vehicle is also an option, but honestly parking is getting limited at my place and my town has some steep (14% grade) hills. I'd be worried about it not being capable of simple city trips.