View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
kc7ekk
EcoModding Lurker

Latoya - '92 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 106.69 mpg (US)
Hypermiling is Good EV driving practice

I drive a 1992 Honda Accord and recently started getting really in to increasing my gas mileage. Although I will be soon upgrading to an all electric Toyota pickup truck that I am working on, I still spend plenty of time researching and modifying my Honda. I just can't stop this madness until I hit 50mpg (102% above EPA).
I'm glad there is a place like Ecomodder where I can read about all you guys that have been doing this for a while. I'm lurking.

I do have a question for anyone who is reading: I have tried a few times to kill the engine for a total power off coast and re-starting with the clutch. It works and is fairly reliable but I am wondering if this will shorten the life of the ignition control module? I recently had to replace the ICM and I am wondering if doing this technique was the cause of death for my last ICM? Any thoughts?

Also, for those who coast to a stop with the engine off, don't you worry about if your car will start back up again when the light turns green? I have tried this a few times but I feel like I am rolling the dice every time. I don't want to be the jerk who can't turn through the green arrow because my car won't start back up. How to you ensure your car will start this time and every other time, in all weather and traffic conditions?

John
www.kc7ekk-solar.blogspot.com

Last edited by kc7ekk; 08-20-2011 at 05:53 PM..