View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
The problem is with the implications of the statement, and how it plays old guard to old thinking about how people SHOULD operate a vehicle. When in fact more and more people DO p&g, and DO choose slower/less conjested routes and DO synchronize their P&G with the traffic lites for little to no penalty.

Q. Would you drive your car this way with your family?
I spend maybe %0.2 of my driving time on the interstate, where I usually only bother with it on the big hills. But pretty much everywhere else, Yes, absolutely. Not necessarily constantly, I mix in some dwl so that I can time the pulses and the glides better with real world obsticles. As a counter question, would Craig carry a family on his freedom machine?!?

Q. Would you drive this way with a Highway Patrolman right behind you?
I don't usually have a hiway patrolman right behind me. I've had plenty of police right behind me in town who didn't give me a second look, p&g blends well with traffic in my experience, and can give you better than hiway mpg.

I hope Craig can clear this up, he is risking alienating some of his largest proponents. P&G and other efficiency driving techniques are things that real people are doing now to reduce consumption and increase energy independance, etc. Few right minded P&Grs would ever make discouraging statements about aeromods (i.e. a competition that sneers at the changes to body style because so few people are doing it)

If the rationalle were "Because we are trying to eliminate variables", then that is fine. But if it is because "we shouldn't be driving that way", even though it works for us, that is a problem.

And yes, I really wear a backpack when going to the store, this actually happens in the real world. It isn't imaginary, or wrong.

Last edited by dcb; 08-21-2011 at 12:19 PM..