View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Extreme Heat and Humidity = HUGE MPG gains

OK I REALLY hate hot and humid but Ryo-Oki LOVES it. I mean REALLY REALLY loves it.

I had to try hard NOT to get 60mpg and better !!

now that its going away my MPG's are going down.

So how much is there in this? both my pop (96 town car) and my brother (84 carb buick) both remarked that the last few tanks they REALLY saw visible measurable increases in FE so it was not just my "skills" causing this :-) the towncar also has a fuel computer so he can get instant and average measurements.

he saw a 1.5 to 2.5 average mpg increase during this hot and humid spell (for a 22-24mpg car thats huge)

SO is there anything we can do to SIMULATE this?

how much of it was heat how much was humidity??? (mild form of water injection???) I hear water injection increases "power" and more power for us means we need "less foot" to go so better FE.

This might be part of the reason my washed gas gives me so much of an increase ?? some from lack of ethanol and some from left over "water" in solution in the gas ???

anyone have anything concrete on this ??

if I directed my intake over my manifold and sealed up the bottom (partial belly pan) to increase the "heat bank" inside the engine bay to feed the intake.

what would happen? what about heating coils INSIDE the intake? water pump pumping coolant through copper tubes wrapped around the exhaust and coiled inside the intake air tube. ie "that much more heat" to add to the mix.

suggestions? thoughts? ideas? info?

anyone else seeing these results over this past heat humidity wave?