View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
JJW
EcoModding Lurker

The Crimson Jellybean - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

White's Elephant (in Black) - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Three most useful gauges?

So I've got myself a brand new bone stock Toyota Yaris that I've happily put about 1000 miles on and so far I've been getting in the neighborhood of 40-45 mpg even while driving for break in (varying speed, gear, load, etc.). One of the things that I'm sorely lacking is a tachometer, and the street-racer set makes nifty three gauge pods for this little car that would allow me to install one to my wife's cosmetic satisfaction. Now, I am positive I will be installing a Scangauge, probably above the mirror, but I still want an analog tach for convenience and to help my wife drive stick with the quiet engine. That means I've got two gauge holes to fill!

What would be the best gauges to populate these holes with? The cars computer should be monitoring oil pressure and water temp I'd imagine, so should I rely on it to monitor those for me? Or rely on the scangauge for those? Which two gauges outside of the scangauge would tell me the most about my efficiency, vacuum and voltage?

Just curious what instrumentation besides the scangauge people find most useful or necessary.

- Jason