View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #55 (permalink)
pletby
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
A question for Craig -

How did you pick 70 MPH as a requirement?

Seems like the speed limit couldn't be that high on the stretch of road where the challenge was held. I would think cruising at 55 MPH, especially in those conditions (strong headwinds), would be an adequate and realistic test.

If a person is looking to maximize mileage, the last thing they would want to do is travel faster than is required - or legal.

Jay
Hey Jay, how goes? Seems when I pass through your State every 3 months it's the one with the slowest speed limit (65 if I remember?) I encounter. 70 to 75 being the norm. Guess what? When I'm doing that speed limit in other faster States I'm the slow one. I think it's pretty darn realistic for the average American Interstate.

The average American (or Canadian for that matter) will not be looking to maximize mileage until things get much worse than they are. They'll be most concerned with how long it'll take them to get home after work, and how comfortable they are. They'll fill their blue box for recycling and pat themselves on the back for how eco friendly they are. I hope I'm wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
Cd (09-02-2011)