Thread: 1,180 Mile Tank
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Update

Just an update...I've been using the coolant heater for about 2 weeks now. I can't really say how much it's helped FE--in the last few weeks I had to remove the bed cover, change my fuel filter, and the weather and traffic hasn't been very consistent either. I don't see how it could hurt FE, and it's has to help engine life, so I'm going to keep doing it.

I've also got the oil pan heater that I ordered--2 150-watt pad-style heaters. I haven't had a chance to install them yet. I got 2 150 watt heaters for a couple reasons. For one thing, they were the cheapest route ($23.49 a piece). Secondly, I plan on hooking up both the oil pan heaters and the coolant heater to the same timered power strip--that way I only have one thing to plug in. I figure 300-watts might be a bit too much in the summer. If it is I'll only use 1 150-watt heater in the summer and use both in the winter. Third, the pad size for 150-watt heaters are smaller, so they'll me easier to fit on the oil pan--one on each side on the drain. When I get them installed I'll try to take some pics. I'm also looking at putting another 150-watt pad on the tranny.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html