View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #5023 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mora View Post
Is it possible to limit older design of 1000A controller down to, let's say 700 amps? In hardware protection limit I mean. I got the PCBs and almost all the necessary components for it but what I've read it is not be stable. I thought it might work with some downgrading. Or should I just get new PCBs when those become available?
It does seem a bit unpredictable at the moment. I have the one that was behaving erratically and I'm going to see what's going on with it. He said it started to act a little weird after a really hard acceleration. If I had to guess, I would say that the super high impedance pwm signals from the control board to the driver board is part of the problem. It seems to be working for another guy though. I wouldn't make it if I were you, but I think derating would probably work fine. It's just quite an expensive list of parts if you derate. One think I woul do is change to no thicker than a 1/4" thick M- bus bar. The 3/8" bar made it so the mosfet legs barely stuck out the other side of the pcb, which caused me to be concerned about how well they could be soldered.