View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #45 (permalink)
MGB=MPG
Smooth Operator

Old Yellar - '79 MGB Tourer Drop-Hood Coupé
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.83 mpg (US)

Old Brown Ford - '91 Ford Bronco Custom

MAGNUM - '05 DODGE MAGNUM SXT
""good application, very well laid out installation."" im not all that sure if that is true but Thank you for the support

i expect it too be a long wait so few miles i run..

Driving by Vacuum gauge is illuminating ..i have done it for years
slightest possible foot feed adjustment can change the reading quite a lot.with no apparent change in power ,
my target value on hill climbs is 10INHG ..minimum 5INHG on hard pulls
\
driving by EGT is new to me ..a learning curve applies .. i got it mainly to check values , try to lean mix by EGT .. i always set my mix lean and do understand that one can get TOO LEAN and cook the power plant
not to mention i love gauges ,, my next gauge might be an oil temp..
it would be nice to have an AFR also
my application is a little *goofy* in so much as : less throttle applied yields
a higher manifold vacuum which *should* pull more of the mix into the intake

steves 4 page

Nitromethane: WiFi for the World
flash point on the Nitromethane is about 35C=95F these summer days my intake temp [another gauge on the panel!] {CAI] is 95F --the carb is running about 115F and the intake manifold higher [ failed to measure for actual value]

no data yet , however observations
if you check my fuel log you will see a value from memory ..
i ran this machine in commuter service several years 330 miles a week 12 gallon tank , .. the a couple setting the advance .. and one ..

initially worked on my mixing methodology
8oz pharmaceutical into a gallon fuel grade methanol ,, the castor appeared to go into solution as expected ,
then one part of nitro in the measuring cup , 4 parts the methanol+castor solution should yield the 20% nitro

appeared to mix up good ..

interesting to observe the changes in density
some mix floated on top of the MMO . some the MMO Floated
*theory* is that the MMO floats and caps the soup from atmosphere -reduced water absorption from atmosphere

then with a *portion* of mix what to do.. dumped it in the jar during ramp runs .. while inital carb mix and timing adjustments , cranked the needle valve open about 2 turns and did ramp runs ..

burnt off quite a lot pretty quick ..
later however the feed rate dropped and i have some concern about something [the castor perhaps] gumming up the feed in the sight glass.

anyone who has spent time on a glow fuel flying field will remember the particular smell of burnt nitro/methanol/castor ,,the nitro has nitric acid as combustion product and the castor a smell all of its own .. quite nice.

the signature smell was apparent

while the cost of fuel grade nitromethane and methanol is not insubstantial the castor oil is the most expensive , by volume ..

and think of the Intangible Value for some one drives a machine looks like this to pull into lot smelling of Nitro & Castor Oil ,, pop bonnet ,, the modern operator looks at engine bay with the SU Carb, the top oiler and coiled copper tube going to the intake manifold and asks ,, whats in that and the reply is .. nitromethane

my minimum measurement amount in my measuring cup is about 5 OZ of mix..

my main malfunction now is the worry about gumming up the feed in the sight glass ,, its a chore to dismount and clean ,, and the possible error in filling the tank for calculations..

if i have a half gallon error on a 10 gallon fill [ 12 gallon tank] thts a 5% error ..

and i would expect any possible gain to get lost in the noise ..

one way to reduce the noise is to increase the number of fills and average
another way is to insure repeatable levels on fills ,,
there are ways .. none easy
another alternative would the valving on the fuel line , an auxiliary fuel pump and a clear header tank with increments in the cabin ,, somehow having a container of fuel in the cabin is not so appealing to me ..rather appalling..

other commercial applications are *messing* with this

some quite exorbitant claims i think

as an example :
Snow Performance: Home

Snow Performance: Nitro Booster?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mgb1a (Medium).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	9361