View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
PA32R
EcoModding Apprentice

LR3 - '06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think the argument that your time is worth more than the fuel is fallacious. The simple fact is, unless you've got some incredible pay package, you've never been paid for your commuting time. That's your time. Time you earn money for doesn't start until you arrive at work, and ends when you leave. You want the job where it is, then driving that distance, spending that time is your choice. How you spend it is up to you. There is no money involved - just the money you burn, and the time in which you do it.

In a way, you're right. It's not possible to come up with a precise conversion factor for time to money, except if you're paid hourly. I'm on salary and my tasks are delineated, not my time. That being said, it's based on a certain amount per year and an assumed amount of hours. So, that is the only proxy I have with which to work. That amount is sufficient to cause me to stop doing stuff I enjoy on my own time, leave my family and set off to work. So, in a sense, it's how I value my time.