View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
PeterS
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
I hate to admit it dcb but that would be FAR beyond my capabilities, the model is underway and I'll arrange some kind of a scale wind tunnel to see the air flow .I'm still quite worried about the loads from side winds ,especially those from 10 or 20 degrees off the nose , but I can't work out how to test those loads .

What I've drawn is a lot like Allert's model ,but considerably higher and with a higher Centre of Areas /Pressure and a higher Centre of Gravity .There isn't much I can do about that as I have to just design a shell to fit over a normal upright bike and I also want to use a 10 hp air cooled diesel ....which rules out the more complex FF scooters and pretty well requires a standard bike with a pre unit gearbox .

The diesel is because a diesel has about 30% efficiency versus 20 or 22% for a petrol /gasoline engine .Unfaired Enfield diesels are returning 130 mpg US (1.8 litres /100km)so a faired version should be very economical .I also produce biodiesel so it is my preferred fuel.