View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigaR007 View Post
The thing is, that weight will have the biggest impact on fuel economy in stop and go traffic. Highway fuel economy savings will be negligible in my opinion.

Weight reduction is good, but only to a certain extent. I would also be concerned about the weight distribution of the car being affected; if too much weight is removed, hence affecting the overall balance of the car.
Yeah it throws the weight balance off, but a little FWD oversteer never hurt anyone On a truck it matters less.

I took the rear seats out of the Anal Probe. Since I never used them anyway it was a really effective mod, and netted me tons more cargo space. If you have AAA coverage, take the spare tire out- that's probably a good 50 lbs. With Suburban you could save a ton of weight by just removing the seat backs when not in use. I'm not sure what you're using the vehicle for but if it's a daily you won't need all those seats. If it's a work truck you could probably use the cargo space.

Lightweight alloy wheels will also net you some weight savings where it counts. It'll help with both acceleration and braking. Look on the internet for specs on different wheels with your bolt pattern. I'm sure those C/K's have plenty of wheel options, and there are probably some cheap, light stock wheels to be had.